Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Alis volat propriis

The past few weeks have been pretty dramatic. I'm not going to rant or go into details, but I lost someone I thought was a dear friend over something so ridiculous, leaving me with absolutely no women friends here in Guanajuato. For the first time in my life, every single one of my friends is male. This has ups and downs, but I have to say, I reallllllly miss my girls back in Oregon.

Right before coming to Mexico, I participated in a week long conference with Portland State's Center for Women, Politics, and Policy (CWPP). There, I met 20 of the most amazing women I could ever hope to meet. 20 women of all ages lived together, worked together, and partied together for an entire week with absolutely no drama, cliques, or whatever other ridiculous shenanigans women have a bad rap for. It was absolutely incredible to be surrounded by such strong, ambitious women, and it is an experience I will never forget.

Since then, I look at most women that I meet through a completely different lens. Naively I automatically assume that I'll get along with everyone as fantastically as I did with my lovely CWPP ladies, and it is always shocking to me when I meet a woman who doesn't have the type of confidence, self respect, and ambition that these women do.

That is about as much of a rant you're going to get from me. Parting words: I miss my girls.

My CWPP ladies and Barbara Roberts, Oregon's first woman governor, June 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment