Friday, December 10, 2010

Reverse Culture Shock

I realize I haven't quite finished the posts about my trip, but I will get around to it eventually.

I have been back in the US for just under a week now. It is good to be home, it really is, but it is so weird. Reverse culture shock is crazy, almost worse than just regular culture shock. When you first arrive in a foreign country, culture shock is expected. Everything is new, different, foreign. Eventually though, it becomes routine. Coming back after an extended amount of time away is so strange. You expect to be comforted by the familiar, but instead everything familiar is foreign at the same time. Everything I do, think, feel, is followed by a "Oh, weird, I have been doing this thing this way my entire life? In Mexico we do it this way." It is a strange, almost unsettling feeling.

Other than getting around to writing about the last three days of the Oaxaca and Chiapas trip, not a lot will be happening in this blog until late January when I go back to Mexico for Part 2 of the year abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment