Thursday, August 5, 2010

First week of class...fail.

So this week I was supposed to have my first two classes at the University, History of Spanish on Tuesday and Contemporary Latin American Literature on Wednesday.

The University has different campuses in the city, and so far we have only been using the one right downtown. My direct enrollment classes are at a different campus though, and I have to take a bus to get there. I had only been there once before, and we all took the bus together. Tuesday I left my house and went to walk to my bus stop for the first time by myself. It is really close to my house, but I could not find it anywhere. At all. So I finally just took a taxi to campus (taxis are really really cheap here), and got there just in time for class. Except I couldn´t find my classroom. Anywhere.

There is no map of the building, and the numbering doesn´t make sense. Each classroom has a letter (L for literature, H for history, P for philosophy) and a number, but they are in no order at all. I walked around the campus for a good 20 minutes trying to find my classroom. I asked around and no one knew . Finally a friend who is also taking that class came and found me. Turns out the classroom is kind of hidden behind another room that had its lights off and the door closed. Cool.

I get to class only to be told by the professor that since I hadn´t taken a few other classes I couldn´t be in that class. All of that work to get to class for nothing. SO FRUSTRATING.

Wednesday was only a little bit better. I found my bus stop. It was super crowded so I had to stand, which is terrifying because they drive ridiculously fast up a terrifying windy hill. I got to campus and found my classroom but no one was there. I sat around for awhile. Someone else in the class was sitting there for a few minutes then left, only to come back and tell me that there was a notice somewhere (still not really sure where) that class had been cancelled that day. Cool.

So that has been my week. No classes. I changed my schedule around so I am taking a Cinema class instead of History of Spanish, but now my schedule is so open. I have class from 8-11 Monday, 9-10 Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and 9-11 and 4-6:30 Wednesday. I have no idea what I am going to do with all of my time. Especially from today until Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment