Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dia de los Flores, Random Updates

Hey everyone.

April 15th was an awesome holiday, Dia de los Flores. As far as I could tell, it is a celebration of the Virgen de Dolores. All over town, people set up altars for her and left offerings, mostly fruit and ice cream. The entire city stays up all night eating, drinking, and partying. Plaza de la Paz is completely converted into a giant tent full of food and flower vendors.

I started off the evening with three fellow study abroaders that I hadn't hung out with much previously. We started really early so the streets weren't to crowded. First we got some food at the giant food tent, got some drinks at Zilch, then headed to a party a friend had invited us to. We continued the festivities there for a few hours, and a learned a few drinking games. (New favorite: Pendejo. A lot like Spoons but more intense, involving tequila and markers.)

From the party the rest of my study abroad friends went to go salsa dancing and I met up with Alexander. We ended up just wandering around for most of the night, with a quick stop at some cantina-like bar where he tried to teach me how to dance (fail). I ended up getting home around 4 in the morning (which is early for Dia de los Flores!)

Since that day I have been nursing a pretty nasty cold, so nothing much to write about April.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Puerto Vallarta until Friday. I'm going by myself, which I'm not going to lie, I am a little nervous about. Not so much about safety issues, just about logistics. The last trip I went on, I was with Lisa, who is the ultimate trip planner. I definitely channeled my inner Lisa when I was planning this, so hopefully everything goes smoothly. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

Now some pics from Dia de los Flores:

Most of the group from the party

Giant food stand!



Example of one of the hundreds of altars set up around town





No comments:

Post a Comment