Monday, May 2, 2011

Puerto Vallarta



I spent the second week of our spring break lounging on the beach. It was fantastic.

I ended up going to Puerto Vallarta. I was a little hesitant because it is a huge tourist city, meaning it would be expensive, full of tourist traps, and not my type of vacation. But since I was traveling alone for the first time, I thought it would be a good idea to stick to the beaten path. And I had an incredible vacation.

The best part was my hostel. It was about a twenty minute walk from the beach, in a residential neighborhood, so it was away from all the tourists. The staff and the other people staying at the hostel were fantastic, and it made my vacation.

I spent the first day sitting on the beach, reading, eating seafood, and drinking some yummy beer. It was so relaxing.

The second day I went on a snorkel cruise. The water was murky that day so I couldn't really see anything, but it was my first time snorkeling and I enjoyed it a lot. It was also really nice to be out in the ocean swimming. I was the only American on the boat, though there were a few Canadians. (Even in Puerto Vallarta there were hardly any Americans. Almost all of the foreigners were Canadian or British. It was the same in Chiapas, everyone was surprised to see Americans- we have been majorly scared away by the reports of violence).

Day 3 was spent with some of the other people at my hostel. We took a bus a little outside of town to a more secluded, less touristy beach, where we hung out for most of the day. After a few hours we headed back to the hostel and just hung out the rest of the day, until Ladie's Night at Harry's. So much fun.

Friday was my day to go home. My bus didn't leave until the afternoon, but I spent my day at the hostel because I knew that if I went to the beach, I just wouldn't get on my bus.


No comments:

Post a Comment