Saturday, March 5, 2011

This I Believe

My very first paper in college was the hardest that I have ever had to write. The assignment was seemingly simple: write a three page essay on what you believe. No other requirements.

I remember how much I struggled to write that paper. I must have restarted it at least ten times. Right before starting my freshman year, my life had changed so much that I wasn't quite sure what it was I believed in anymore. In the end, that is what I wrote about.
Earlier today I was cleaning some old files off of my computer and I stumbled upon that essay. After reading it, two things struck me. 1) It is amazing how much I have evolved as a writer in three short years (some parts were definitely cringe-worthy) and 2) it is amazing how that essay still rings true for me today.

2 quotes:

"I believe in embracing the changes life throws your way. Though things may look difficult at first, there is something to be learned in every challenge thrown at you, no matter how menial it may originally seem. In every challenge, from a missed bus to a difficult class, a bad day to a family tragedy, there is an opportunity to come out knowing more about yourself and what you believe."

This especially applies to my life today, living in a foreign country and speaking in a second language. Absolutely every part of every day is a challenge. Nothing is easy, and the smallest victories are relished as if they were monumental. And, just as my 17-year-old self claimed, I have come out of each challenge a stronger person.

"I believe that five, ten, and thirty years from now, my core beliefs will have morphed and evolved, and will only vaguely represent those I feel strongly about currently."

Again, my 17-year-old self could not have been more right. When I wrote this essay 3 years ago, I was majoring in Criminal Justice and Political Science. I wanted to go on to change the world, and live in as many different parts of it as I could. And while some of that mentality still remains, it has also been altered. I joined MUN and learned that while politics are interesting, it isn't what I want to do with my life. I worked at a school and discovered a passion for teaching. I moved to Mexico and discovered that I'm absolutely in love with Oregon and would be perfectly happy living there. The list goes on. And all of those changes happened in three short years. I can't even imagine how different things will be five, ten, and thirty years down the line.

Anyways, enough with the self reflection (for now...I have a few more especially reflective posts in mind). It is Saturday night, off to hit the town :)

No comments:

Post a Comment