Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Another Quick Update

Just another quick update.

We went on a tour of the city on Saturday and saw some really amazing places. My favorite was Pipila, a giant statue above the city. It has an amazing view of Guanajuato.

Sunday my parents took me to the mall and then to the market, which was fun. Then my mom made cheeseburgers for lunch. I was very happy.

This week is going by really fast, and homework is piling up. The Spanish class and orientation session only have one week left, and I have a final essay for each. I also have two more mini essays and a presentation. I will be in Mexico City this weekend, and things start being due on Tuesday. Stressful! But everything is very interesting, and things that I actually want to be writing about. Hopefully that will make it go by faster.

I met my host brother! He lives in Mexico City, but I think he may have moved back into our house. I am not quite sure. He is really nice and funny, and even though my spoken spanish is horrific he still compliments it all of the time, which is very nice of him. I am excited to get to know him and my sister better.

Today my family had a ton of relatives over and we watched Sherlock Holmes. Afterwards, I went to a salsa lesson with fellow study abroaders, which was really fun. I think I am going to go again next week.

I am a little surprised by how homesick I am. I had a really bad day a few days ago where I was terribly homesick the entire day. Luckily it is not that bad anymore, but I definitely have my moments. And they come at the strangest times. Last night I was talking about the kids at Buckman with a fellow future teacher, and a huge wave of homesickness came over me. Today during salsa, I was remembering going out dancing with Faire, and homesickness again. But these waves are becoming further apart and less intense, so I hope as time passes they will just go away :) Because I am having an absolutely amazing time, and I can not even believe how lucky I am to be here.

That is it for now I think. Tomorrow I will be picking classes (I think I will be taking Migration & Contemporary Social Issues of Mexico, History of Mexico, Contemporary Mexican Literature, and either Latin American Cinema or Phonetics of Spanish). This weekend is Mexico City. Then it is the last week of Orientation. Then I start my real University classes. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment