Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Massive Update, sorry

I have been terrible about keeping this blog updated. Massive update. Here goes.

Our trip to Mexico City last weekend was absolutely amazing. It is about a five hour drive from here, which wasn’t too bad at all. We checked into the hostel we stayed at, which was right next to the main Cathedral, and left for our tour. The first day we had a terrible guide who walked faster than anyone I have met in my life and didn’t tell us anything about any of the cool places we saw. The only reason I know the names of where we went is because of the printed out itinerary we had. The first day we saw a ton of places right downtown that I can’t remember right now. It was pretty chilly and we were all tired, so we went back to the hostel early. That night I went with some of my fellow study abroad-ers and our horrible guide to see a lucha libre, which was SWEET. I don’t even know how to describe it.

The next day we went to La Plaza de Tres Culturas, the Basilica de Guadalupe, and Teotihuacan. The pyramids were by far my favorite part of the entire trip to Mexico City. The entire day it was raining Portland style, but that almost made the pyramids even better. The stairs leading up are ridiculously steep and my legs were sore for a few days after, but the view from the top is well worth the climb. The museum was closed though, which was really disappointing because I really wanted to see it. I will just have to go back someday.

That night I went out with two other girls to get food at a restaurant around the corner, which was fun. I ordered something from a picture off the menu because it looked good, and it was basically just a pot of melted cheese with chorizo mixed in and tortillas on the side. So yummy, but so greasy. The restaurant was a bakery too, so we went nuts and tried a little bit of everything. Unhealthiest meal of my life.

Sunday we went to some other place and Xochimilco. Two words: mariachi dance party. Then a long drive home, and an exhausting week. It was the last week of our Spanish and Orientation class, so there was a ton of homework. I did a ten minute presentation in my Spanish class, wrote a paper on the subjunctive for Orientation, and had tons of little essays, plus my final exam. On top of all of that, I was being a social person. Monday and Tuesday I was at Starbucks using their Internet with a friend (I also made a new friend there. Yay!). Wednesday was salsa lesson #2, and afterwards we hung out at the salsa bar and danced. Salsa is very difficult. Thursday night I went out again to an AWESOME bar that reminds me a lot of Portland. New favorite place in town.

Friday we all had to go to San Miguel to do visa paperwork. Really boring. Afterwards we went to nearby hot springs and swam and had lunch. Can I just make it clear how much I love being able to have a beer with my lunch? I was the most exhausted I have ever been when I got home and passed out until 9. Then I went to the International Film Fest. It was so cool. They set up a movie screen outside in front of the university stairs and played a ton of short films, all of which I loved.

Sunday I went hiking with a friend, which was really cool. We hiked La Bufa, right outside of town. At the top is a shrine to San Ignacio, and Sunday was his day, so there were hundreds of people hiking. Before the climb got too steep, there were tons of booths selling food and souvenirs, and even rides. After about 2o minutes, it becomes almost a vertical climb, so it was just us and the hundreds of people going to the top. It took almost 2 hours, but the view was well worth it. Going down was really difficult, I definitely fell a few times.

All of the summer people are gone now, so it is just the seven of us staying for the semester/year. Really small group.

Monday I went to the mummy museum with another student. THEY ARE SO COOL! There are a ton of naturally mummified bodies. Some of them still have hair or clothes, it is crazy. All of their mouths hang open, which is apparently part of the decomposition process, so it looks like they are smiling or screaming. There are little babies and toddlers, which was sad but even more interesting. I want to go back!

Haven’t been up to that much else. I am taking 2 classes with CIEE (Mexican History and Advanced Spanish) and 2 at the University (Contemporary Latin American Literature and something yet to be determined…probably a cinema course.) CIEE classes don’t start until next week so I have nothing to do this week.

Ok, that is all. PICTURES!







No comments:

Post a Comment