Sunday, August 29, 2010

I never remember to write in this...

The past few weeks have been pretty good. Time is flying, I can’t believe that I have almost been here for two months. Before I know it, it is going to be June, and I will be heading back to Portland.

I’m finally starting to settle into a routine, which is nice. I like having a routine. Mondays I have class in the morning, then I spend the afternoon doing homework. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, I am done with class by 9 am. I go running afterwards, shower, find somewhere to use the internet, eat lunch, then do more homework. Wednesdays I am basically in class all day.

I still haven’t quite found that routine for my weekends. Generally I don’t have any homework to do, since I spend so much time on it during the week. I try not to use the Internet too much. I feel like most weekends I just hang out at home and watch television/movies, which can be nice but sometimes it is mind numbingly boring. Especially because the same movies repeat during the weekend, and my family likes to watch them over and over again. I have seen Spanglish three times this week, and Amelie four times in the past two or three weeks.

My birthday weekend was really fun. Thursday night two of my friends took me out drinking. We went to a ton of different places, but finally ended up at the Grill. It was the most ridiculous night of my life, by far. I didn’t get home until 6 AM, so I slept almost all of Friday. At lunch my uncle made me take a shot of tequila with him, while he showed me lots of different Mexican musicians and talked about where I should travel to when I get the chance. That was fun. Friday night everyone wanted to celebrate again, but I needed a nice and calm night after Thursday. We ended up going out to this really cute little coffee shop and hanging out for a bit. They have the most amazing chocolate drink I have ever had in my life, it is my new addiction. I’m sure everyone has already heard me rave about it though, so I won’t spend any more time on that. Saturday and Sunday were really low key, I don’t even remember what I did. Probably just slept, I had a sore throat most of the rest of that weekend.

The next week went by really fast. Homework load was really light and I didn't have my literature class. That is all.

This weekend was good. I finally made it up to this nature reserve with a friend to go hiking. It sort of sucked though, there is a neighborhood with the same name wayyyyy on the outskirts of town, and the taxi driver took us there first. Then to the right place, which took him forever to find, and then he charged us for the entire ride. That was no fun. We made plans for him to come back and pick us up in two hours, then set of on the hike. The area is really pretty, but there isn't really a path or anything. It is sort of just a ton of sections of trail that randomly meet up. You end up going in circles, but it was still really fun. People go camping up there, that would be fun to do sometime. At three we went to go meet our taxi driver for a ride back into town, except for he wasn't there. An hour later, he still hadn't shown up. And we were sort of in the middle of nowhere. With no cell service. Luckily there was a road that led to one of the college campuses, and we were able to flag down a bus and get a ride there. It was an adventure.

Today I have a massive amount of reading to do for my literature class, but that is all. My family is making hamburgers for lunch, and my host brother is making sure that they will have bacon because I told him that was my favorite food. I am very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment