Monday, September 27, 2010

Strep Throat, Take 2

I am frustrated beyond belief. Not so much anymore, now that the new medication seems to be working, but it has been a very rough week.

I managed to drag myself to all of my classes last week. By Wednesday I was feeling healthy, so it wasn't as hard, but Friday I woke up with my throat sore again. By the end of the day, my tonsils were covered in white spots. Again.

Back to my doctor Saturday afternoon. It was pretty much the same routine as my first appointment. He changed my meds to something stronger and made a follow up appointment for Monday. That appointment was the first one that actually went well. He said that things had significantly improved. Three more days of meds, labwork next week, and a follow up appointment next Saturday. That will be appointment #5. For a case of strep throat. Yeah, I'm frustrated.

Even though I have been sick and dying in my bedroom for the past two weeks, I have still learned quite a bit. In Mexico there is an interesting belief that eating cold things when you are sick worsens your health even more. The first thing the doctor asked me each visit was if I had eaten anything cold. Same with my host parents and host siblings each time they saw me and I looked worse. When I have a sore throat, all I want is a popsicle to numb the pain. But that is a big no no here.

Also, no walking around barefoot. At all. That is understandable though with the amount of insects here. Especially scorpions. In this area they aren't dangerous, if you get stung it is no big deal. But I still would not want to step on one barefoot. So far I have only seen/killed two in my bedroom. But the whole no going barefoot thing is a little difficult, because I broke my flip flops at the doctor's office on Saturday. So I was sick and dying and limping around barefoot. I was getting some lovely looks. Also, my bedroom has a rough concrete floor. Being barefoot is not so fun. Search for new flip flops will commence as soon as I can get out of bed long enough to go to the store without dying.

Luckily we don't have school tomorrow, so I get another day to sleep (the meds I am on now make me ridiculously tired.) The 28th of September an important holiday here. It is the day that the revolution reached Guanajuato. All of the Spaniards had locked themselves inside the Alhóndiga de Granaditas, and Hidalgo's army busted down the door and took them all out. The cool part is that I live across the street from the Alhóndiga. I walk by it every day. It is pretty incredible to live so close to something so important to the history of the country.

That is all for now. This new medication seriously makes me exhausted. I just took a five hour nap and woke up to eat dinner, and I'm ready for bed again.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, long time no chat <3 I am catching up on your blog posts (so sorry if I spam you with comments) I love hearing about your experience with studying abroad and how it compares to mine -OMG I can`t even imagine having to kill scorpions in my room. Luckily the only thing that sneaks into my room in Tokyo is massive amounts of dust!

    ReplyDelete