Friday, February 4, 2011

Host Family Love

Last term, I had to spend so much time dying in my bed that I didn't get many opportunities to have conversations with my host family. This term, I have been making a huge effort to get to know them better.

Usually during lunch, it is just my host mom Berta and I. She can talk for hours and hours, which is great Spanish practice for me. We usually have lunch while watching a movie, then talk during commercials and after. She is a movie fanatic and finds it so funny that I never really watched them before coming to Mexico. Today I heard the whole story behind her love of movies, which was pretty interesting. When she was first married to my host dad Jesus and my host brother Beto was a toddler, they lived in Chiapas. Jesus worked out in the remote jungles logging (or something like that) and would be gone for 20 days, then back for a week. Berta was left at home in a tiny city in the middle of Chiapas with a toddler and nothing to do, so they starting going to the movies all of the time. Fast forward 20some years, and here I am, living with movie fanatics like I have never seen before. (Side note- My host dad, the engineer/professor/government worker/not really sure what he does, out in the jungles of Chiapas logging? I can't even picture that).

Through daily English/Spanish lessons with Jesus, I have also been getting to know him pretty well. He is a fantastic host dad, he loves hearing all about what I am learning and what my impressions of Mexico are.

My host siblings, Beto and Abril, are hardly ever home, but I have been trying to talk to them more whenever they are around.

One of the trees in our garden that has been bare for most my time here has started to blossom...and it is a peach tree! Berta says the peaches won't be here until June or July after I have already left, but I'm ok with that because the tree is so pretty. It reminds me a lot of cherry blossom trees in good old P-town. And it is almost right outside my bedroom window, so I can look at it even when I'm stuck inside reading boring 19th century Latin American literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment