Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Great Adventure: Day 5


Day 5

At this point I was starting to get a little worried, because what I thought were just allergies seemed to be turning into a bad cold. After being so sick for so long, I couldn't even comprehend the thought that I was getting sick again, so I just kept taking my Vitamin C and completely ignored the cold.

Day 5 was pretty uneventful. We flew out of Oaxaca into Mexico City early in the morning, and had a few hours to kill before our flight to Chiapas. We got on the metro and ended up at a pretty little plaza somewhere downtown where were sat in the sun for a few hours. We had the most amazing street tacos that I have had so far in Mexico, complete with some really delicious horchata, then got back on the metro to head back to the airport.

Somewhere between passing through the gate to board the metro and getting off the first line we rode, I DROPPED my wallet. I know for sure that no one stole it, because I was SO paranoid about it getting stolen that I guarded my purse like a hawk the entire time. I have no idea where or how I managed to drop my wallet, and since we had a flight to catch we couldn't loop back to look for it. Luckily, all that was in it was about $15 and my UG student ID. I'm more pissed about losing the actual wallet, I have had it since third grade. It is ancient, but I love it. I still haven't gotten around to buying a new one, but that is my mission today after I finish at least half of this paper.

When we got to Chiapas, Lisa's friend that we stayed with (also named Lisa) came and picked us up from the airport. During the ride home, she informs us that the international school she works at is having a Thanksgiving feast, and she was in charge of cooking 4 turkeys and mashed potatoes for eighty people and could use our help. We get to the house and start on the turkey, then head out to a dinner. We went to a little Italian place, and I had some of the best pizza in the world. In Chiapas.

The house that we stayed at was absolutely gorgeous. Lisa works at a school and lives with a well off family. They have an incredible house complete with a pool and multiple housekeepers. Most of the family was out of town, so we didn't get to meet them, but the older brother had stayed behind to work. Lisa warned us he could be really rude, but everything was fine and he was very friendly. He was a bit of a weird guy though. First of all, whenever he needed one of the housekeepers, instead of walking two seconds to find them, he would call them on a megaphone. It was super awkward. Second, every night from his room in the pool house he would have these raves with two of his friends, complete with blasting music, lights, and a fog machine. I would think that with three people that would get really boring, but they seemed to enjoy it.

Day 6 will come later, I should be writing my literature paper at the moment.






Capitan, the dog living at Lisa's friend Lisa's house


AMAZING street tacos in Mexico City. The french fries actually came on top...

No comments:

Post a Comment