Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Great Adventure: Days 1 & 2


I know I already wrote a little bit about the trip, but I keep remembering things to add. So I am just going to write about it in more details a day or two at a time. Here we go.

Day 1

We left Guanajuato around one and took the bus to the bus station. I have never been on such a crowded bus in my life (I used to think Portland buses were crowded...that was nothing!).

Our bus to Mexico City was fairly uneventful. Primera Plus is the nicest bus line. They give you these adorable little lunch packs and play movies. The first movie we watched was Passengers, which is all about a plane crash. That felt like a rather ominous way to start the trip as we were boarding a plane the very next morning. Also, that movie was really boring. As were the others they played.

From the bus station we took the metro to our hostel in the Zocalo. We had no problems on the metro, but we got hopelessly lost once we got off downtown and wandered around for a little over an hour. It didn't help that there was some show or something going on, so there were thousands of people that we had to push through. Eventually we found our hostel, checked in, had an oh so healthy dinner of chips, guacamole, fried cheese sticks, and BARBECUE SAUCE!!!! That was the first time I have had BBQ sauce since getting to Mexico, it was amazing.

After dinner we went back to the room and passed out. The hostel was pretty nice but since it was right downtown, it was super loud, and I kept waking up. I probably only got about two hours of sleep that night.

Day 2

Our flight to Oaxaca left really early in the morning, so we were checked out of the hostel and on our way to the airport by 6 AM. I could not believe how many people were on the metro that early, it was so crowded.

We got to the airport with plenty of time to spare, and had an uneventful flight to Oaxacca (thank goodness, Passengers had made me a bit paranoid). From the airport, we took a collective taxi (colectivo) to our hostel. I love collective taxis. They are vans that are going to the same general area, and the fare is split among all of the passengers. It makes getting around so much cheaper, as you will read about later.

By then it was almost 10 but we couldn't check into our room until 2, so we went for a nice long walk through the city. The 20th of November is a holiday, so there was a parade through the center (complete with an army of Spongebob's and Patrick's dressed up as revolutionaries). There were also about 80 different Kung Fu clubs in the parade, I kid you not. They just kept coming and coming.

Eventually we got bored of watching all the Kung Fu clubs walk down the street, so we went back to our hostel to eat lunch on the rooftop terrace, which has a pretty view of the city. While we ate there was the biggest man I have ever seen on my life sunbathing and randomly chiming into our conversation, which was not awkward at all. Finally it was 2 and we checked into our room. We were planning on going back out to explore, but we were so exhausted we passed out and took a two hour nap.

I already wrote a little about what we did after napping. Mainly we just went around town eating. Jicama with chile and lime, helotes, and mezcal sampling. We bought a bottle of it for us to share throughout the trip, and headed back to the hostel to wind down.

That is all for now. I have one more week in Guanajuato with nothing to do except for write a paper, so I will have lots of time to keep writing about each day.




Eating helote on the street

Sampling mezcal

No comments:

Post a Comment